Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Roasted Salsa

This recipe can be made with the vegetables not grilled, but honestly it's so much tastier with vegetables grilled before hand. Salsa is something I must always have in my fridge, since chips and salsa make me one happy woman. Now, this salsa can be unpredictable in it's heat level. I used a jalapeno, but in this day and age sometimes they can be the most mild chiles there are and sometimes they end up being on the spicy side. This post has been sitting half finished for a couple months now, I didn't have a picture of the salsa so I was waiting to post it. However, since I have been insanely busy lately and haven't been able to cook anything worth posting (in my opinion) I am taking to easy way out and posting this one.



EQUIPMENT

Grill Pan*
Cutting Board
Knife
Blender


INGREDIENTS
1/2 Red Onion, peeled
3 Whole Tomatoes (Tomatillos if you want to make green salsa)
1 Jalapeno (whole)
3 Whole, peeled Garlic Cloves
2T. Can Crushed tomatoes
Handful Fresh Cilantro
Juice from can of tomatoes
Salt and Pepper to taste


Heat a lightly oiled grill pan to medium heat. Place tomatoes, onion and pepper on pan. Grill 10-15 minutes per side, until there is a nice char on the them and the skins are softened. Remove from pan and let cool slightly.

Cut the stem off the jalapeno and remove the seeds. Put everything in a blender and add crushed tomatoes, tomato juice and cilantro. Blend until smooth, and season with salt and pepper.

This will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks.


Comer!

No comments:

Post a Comment