Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Lasagna Soup



Yes, you read correctly. I received my newest issue of Food Network Magazine, and there is a section on soup for dinner. Ok, so soup for dinner isn't a new idea by any means, BUT these soups are takes on other dishes that have been made into soups. The first of which was Lasagna Soup. I have a strong desire to cook my through these soups...minus the Caesar Salad soup. The next soup in the series is a Philly Cheesesteak soup that I'm looking forward to making. I had originally planned to make it this Thursday and have a couple of my buddies over, but a work event came up so it will have to be pushed to next week. Really it's ok, because this has been shaping up to be on packed week! This season becomes a little chaotic for me with work, lots of caterings and the holidays!

So I changed one small thing about this recipe...ok so I changed it in my head for the next time, but I will share it with you. The use of lasagna noodles is not necessary, frankly they're a little too big to be fully enjoyed and when you cut them up they don't really resemble lasagna noodles anyways. I would recommend using a small shell pasta, since it will act as a little spoon soaking up soup with each bite.



EQUIPMENT
Large Pot
Dutch Oven
Cutting Board
Sharp Knife



INGREDIENTS
Kosher salt
8 ounces lasagna noodles, broken into pieces (I would use small shells instead)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 onion, chopped
1/2 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped fresh bail, plus thinly sliced leaves for topping
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
Ricotta cheese, for topping



1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Ass the noodles and cook as the label directs. Drain, drizzle with olive oil and toss.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the sausage, garlic and oregano and cook, stirring and creaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon, until the sausage is browned, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until darkened, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and 1 cup water; cover and bring to a simmer. Uncover and cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Stir in the noodles, basil, parmesan and heavy cream; simmer 2 more minutes.
4. Divide the soup among bowls. Top with ricotta and sliced basil.




Comer!

No comments:

Post a Comment