Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Mexican on The Fly


Grilled Steak with Black Beans, Grilled Scallions and Roasted Salsa

Mexican food is something I could eat 24/7-365! I LOVE Mexican food, and have never tired of it. This is a super simple (I can't not stress enough how easy this is) recipe that will sate any steak/Mexican food craving right away. I am sorry to say however, that this is going to be one of those recipes I don't measure a damn thing for. Not measuring is part of the reason I'm so drawn to cooking vs baking. I can go by smell and taste with cooking. Not the case with baking, I have to know what reactions will be caused in baking and won't know how it tastes until it completed...and most possibly a disaster (like my first pie - YIKES!). I will however do my best to properly convey this recipe to the best of my ability.





EQUIPMENT
Cast Iron Grill Pan*
Cutting Board
Sharp Knife
Mdm. Pot (with lid)



INGREDIENTS
Skirt Steak
1 Bunch of Scallions
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Chile Powder
1 Lime
Salsa - same recipe I previously posted


Get your grill pan nice and hot on medium-high. Make sure your steak is room temperature, it cooks more evenly that way. Since it's cast iron you should have it already nice and seasoned, but if you feel you need it add a little oil to the pan. Season your steak with salt, pepper, garlic powder, chile powder and a couple squeezes of lime juice. Skirt steak cooks fairly quickly, so you should only need to cook it about 3 minutes on each side or so. Of coarse if you like very well done, cook it longer. When steak is cooked, remove from pan and set aside to rest. While the steak is resting toss your scallions on the grill pan and cook them to a nice char. Serve them alongside the steak with a side of beans and some of that fresh salsa poured on top.




Comer!





















No comments:

Post a Comment