Saturday, August 10, 2013

Calabacitas Con Elote


It would seem I am on a squash kick. Tis the season of wonderful squash though, and there is so much to be done with it. This is my version (since recipes are never the same as when grandma makes them) of one of my Abuelitas dishes, that to be honest is...my FAVORITE. The only thing that makes this dish better is if you serve it with warm (just off the pan) tortillas. What the hell, have a glass of Sangria along with it too.
Mine is served along side some roasted chicken breast...this however is a cheat! I was at Costco (shopping for pillows and a large skeleton) and decided I was feeling too tired to 100% cook my meal from scratch, so I cheated a little bit.



EQUIPMENT
Cutting Board
Sharp Knife
Large Saute Pan
Wooden Spoon


INGREDIENTS
1T Olive Oil
1T Butter
2-3 Onions,chopped (I used Farmers Market onions so they aren't massive)
4 Cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
1.5C Halved Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
1-2C Chopped Summer Squash
3/4C Fresh or Frozen Corn Kernels
2t Tomato Paste (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1-2t Garlic Powder
Dash of Chile Powder


Heat pan on medium heat and add olive oil and butter. When butter is nice and melted toss in your onions, and saute until soft then add garlic. When garlic begins to sweat and become aromatic, add in squash and corn. Toss in tomatoes after about 1 minute. Lowe heat to medium-low. Add in salt, pepper, garlic powder and chile. Cover and allow to simmer for 5 minutes or so. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. For a little something extra toss in a bit of shredded cheese.
Serve with tortillas and enjoy. It's best fresh from the pan.


Comer!



No comments:

Post a Comment